Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Teaching in English

Our week was pretty cool. We had a really awesome/ funny/ strange experience that I'll tell you all about.

First off, though, I have to say that here in Brazil, it is quite common to hear people trying to speak English. All the schools teach it. However, it is VERY hard to find someone that actually speaks English. Mabye because the schools teach it wrong. The point is, is that everyone pronounces English as if it were portuguese. For example, when a kid wants to say "Good Night" it'll sound like "Goodgey Nichey!" and so on and so forth. However, I've thought awhile and it's like the same thing in the US with spanish. I feel like many tidbits of spanish that are said by Americans are mispronounced. Mabye. Is that a thing? Actually I have no idea, because it's been awhile since I've been in the States. Anyway, this is English in Brazil.

HOWEVER, this week we were walking in the streets like any other normal day. Then, out of the blue, some guy turns the corner, sees us, and starts yelling at us in perfect English. That was quite a weird thing. Besides my first companion here in Brazil, Elder Dup, I've never heard someone speak such good English. Anyway, this guy starts talking to us, and it is quite apparent that he is a little bit drunk. However, his English is still solid. I literally thought this guy was American, and so I asked him why he was here in Brazil. Then he was all like "Well, I'm Brazilian, why wouldn't I be in Brazil?" Good question.





And so, the slightly drunk guy starts to talk to us, invites us to his house, and treats us like we're old friends. I decided that it would be fun to try and teach him in English, because it's been a long time since I've taught anything or rather said anything in English (outside of the emails). So we went to his house, met his family who was a little annoyed that he was drunk, and then he ordered pizza for us. And we taught him. I've got to say, I don't think I've ever seen a smarter drunk guy. He understood very vividly all of the things we had to say, and took the message very well. He said he's been looking for truth in his life, but not being able to find it, he sort of fell into a little depression and every once in awhile he drinks away his depression. We left him with some materials to read and ponder, because I was thinking that there's a possibility he would forget all that we taught since he was a little drunk.

And that was my first lesson in English here in Brazil. Until next week!

Elder Bishop

No comments:

Post a Comment